General Dentistry involves the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of a wide variety of conditions, disorders, and diseases, affecting the teeth, gums, and maxillofacial (associated with the jaw and face) region of the body. General dentists provide services related to the general maintenance of oral hygiene and tooth health.
Ideally, dentistry is preventative. Rajesh Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry recommends that you visit your dentist regularly (at least once every six months) to ensure proper oral hygiene and functionality. Regular checkups and oral health maintenance prevent the development of serious dental problems that can require costly treatment.
Treatment Under General Dentistry
Composites or Fillings are a dental restoration that is made of a non-toxic substance. This durable material is primarily made or quartz, ceramic, or silica and are often referred to as tooth-coloured fillings.
When there is a tooth decay or cavities present, tooth coloured fillings can be done where we remove the decayed portion and place a tooth coloured filling over it. Fillings can stain over time and need to be replaced due to wear. They typically last about 3-5 years. For a longer lasting solution, we also offer ceramic fillings.
Full-mouth disinfection is for the treatment of Chronic Periodontitis (gum disease) in adults. Periodontal disease affects the bone and gum that provide support for your teeth, which if left untreated can result in your teeth becoming loose and falling out.
In cases where the tooth is badly damaged and need to be extracted, our dentist is able to help. We practice painless injections with using a topical anaesthetic cream on the gum that numbs the area before the injection. We also do atraumatic extractions to minimize the trauma to the gums and bone surrounding the tooth.
Poor alignment of wisdom teeth can crowd or damage adjacent teeth and cause food and bacteria to be trapped, causing gum infection in the area or cavities to form on the wisdom tooth or even the tooth adjacent to the wisdom tooth. We have a specialist oral surgeon that is experienced in removing wisdom teeth effectively and with minimal pain and stress.
Advantages of General Dentistry
- Evaluation: During your regular checkups, your general dentist will evaluate your teeth, gums, and other soft tissues around your mouth – looking for bacteria build-up (among other things). They may give you some tips to help your oral hygiene routine at home.
- Prevention: General dentistry helps prevent oral infections, cancers, and other dental complications. Regular cleanings can even help to prevent stains and discolouration from affecting your teeth!
- Cavity Detection: With how advanced technology has become nowadays, your dentist has access to tools that can help them detect cavities (or other infections) at their earliest stages. If they’re able to do this, especially with cavities and gum disease (gingivitis), they often can reverse the infection altogether.
- Restoration: On the other hand, if they’re unable to reverse the infection, general dentistry also includes treating that cavity with a filling. Dental fillings have also been used to help restore teeth when teeth have excessive wear on them (from bruxism) or have experienced a crack or break. Once restored, your tooth can function normally again!
- Better Overall Health: As you probably already know, when your oral health declines, your body becomes more susceptible to other health complications because your immune system is already compromised. In fact, dental conditions – like gum disease – have been known to increase your risks for heart disease
It is a procedure which is called scaling in which we remove the food and stains build up on the tooth. It does not lead to any loosening of teeth.
Buy a brush with soft bristles. medium and firm one can damage teeth and gums. Use a soft pressure for 2 minutes. 2 times daily. The brush should b changed every 3 months.
Bleeding and swollen gums are a sign of gum disease for many people this is not painful early diagnosis ca help it reverse
Floss cleans the food and plaque from between the teeth and under the gum line. But it should be used only after consultation with a dentist.
Some women have gum problem at the time of puberty, menstruation, pregnancy and menopause. Pregnancy gingivitis occurs in 2nd or 3rd month of pregnancy. One should not stop brushing teeth as it is due to hormonal changes, consult your dentist.
You should visit the dentist twice a year. However there is any gum disease, your dentist may recommend more frequent visits.
Dental x Ray’s are very safe, radiation is measured in milligrams and one dental xray has 5 millirems.
A cavity is a small hole in the tooth that develops because of tooth decay. The decay destroys the tooth and results in a void space.
One cannot expect restorations to last forever but you can take care of them to increase its life. Maintain good oral hygiene and visit your dentist regularly.
Both electric and manual toothbrushes have their advantage and disadvantages but your brushing technique and frequency are much more important than what you brush with.